We hope you love the products we recommend and just so you know that as an Amazon Associate EngineHoist.net may earn from qualifying purchases.
Lately I’ve had a few people asking, is the Harbour Freight engine stand any good? to which I have replied with a short story… Let me share it with you…
A Lesson in Cheap Engine Stands
Let me tell you about the time I got burned buying a cheap engine stand. I was working on restoring a classic car, and I needed an engine stand to help me rebuild the motor. I found one for a steal, but boy, did it turn out to be a mistake!
The wheels were missing, and the replacement wheels would take months to arrive. I didn’t have that kind of time, so I had to start looking for a better option. That’s when I came across the Harbor Freight engine stand.
Is the Harbour Freight engine stand any good though?
After assembling the Harbor Freight engine stand and comparing it to the more expensive option I had before, I can confidently say that this engine stand is a decent choice for the price. It held the engine securely and had some nice features that the more expensive stand didn’t have.
However, there are some drawbacks. The Harbor Freight engine stand has lower-quality casters that don’t roll as smoothly. If you plan on using this engine stand frequently in a professional shop, you may want to invest in a higher-quality option with better casters.
- Affordable: The Harbor Freight engine stand is considerably cheaper than many other engine stands on the market, making it a good choice for those on a tight budget. With a 25% off coupon, the price can go down to around $48, which is quite a steal.
- Sturdy construction: Despite its low cost, the engine stand features solid welding and a good amount of metal used in its construction. This makes it suitable for holding engines of various weights and sizes.
- Easy assembly: The engine stand is relatively easy to assemble, with clear instructions and all necessary parts included. This means you can have it set up and ready to use in no time.
- Lower-quality casters: The casters on the Harbor Freight engine stand are not as high-quality as those found on more expensive models. This can make it harder to move the stand around, especially when it’s supporting a heavy engine.
- Differences in mounting brackets: The Harbor Freight stand uses flat plate steel for its mounting brackets, while other models use box steel. It’s unclear which is better, but this difference may impact the stand’s overall durability and weight capacity.
- Limited rotation functionality: While the engine stand is able to rotate the engine, it may not be as smooth or easy to control as more expensive models. This could be an issue for users who need to frequently rotate engines during their work.
Verdict – Is the Harbor Freight Engine Stand Any Good?
For a casual user who needs an engine stand for occasional projects, the Harbor Freight engine stand is a good value for the price. It’s sturdy and functional, and it held up well during the engine rebuild process. It may not be perfect, but it’s certainly worth considering if you’re on a budget and need an engine stand for a short-term project.