We hope you love the products we recommend and just so you know that as an Amazon Associate EngineHoist.net may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you own a Jeep Wrangler, you know how heavy and difficult it can be to remove and install the hardtop.
Fortunately, there’s an easy solution to this problem:
a hardtop hoist!
But what is the best hardtop hoist for a jeep wrangler?
In this article, we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to install a hardtop hoist for your Jeep Wrangler and how to use it to remove and place the hardtop back on.
A hardtop hoist is a device that makes removing and installing the hardtop much easier. It’s a simple electric hoist that you can mount in your garage or workshop. With the hoist, you can lift the hardtop off your Jeep and store it in a safe place until you need to put it back on.
What You’ll Need for the Hiost Installation
Now that you know why you need a hardtop hoist, let’s talk about what you’ll need to install it. Here are the materials you’ll need:
- Electric hoist: You can purchase an electric hoist from Amazon or any other hardware store. We recommend the following:
- Unistrut: This is a metal channel that you can use to support the hoist in your attic.
- Metal strip: This is to keep the hoist from sliding side to side too much.
- Two-by-threes: You’ll need to stack these together to support the unistrut.
- Screws: You’ll need screws to secure the hoist and the two-by-threes in place.
Installing the Hardtop Hoist
Step 1: Measure the Distance from the Ceiling The first step is to measure the distance from the ceiling of your garage or workshop up to the height you need for the hoist supports.
Step 2: Build the Structure Once you’ve measured the distance, you’ll need to build a structure that the hoist can be supported by. Stack the two-by-threes together to support the unistrut that goes across the floor joists. Screw them together and then screw them to the floor joists in your attic.
Step 3: Mount the Hoist Put the hoist in place and use the metal strip to keep it from sliding side to side too much. Make sure the hoist is level and securely mounted to the unistrut.
Using the Hardtop Hoist
Now that the hoist is installed, let’s talk about how to use it to remove and place the hardtop back on your Jeep.
- Prepare Your Jeep Make sure your Jeep is parked underneath the hoist, and there’s enough clearance for the hoist to lift the hardtop off.
- Attach the lifting straps or hooks of the hoist to the appropriate attachment points on the hard top. These points will vary depending on the make and model of your Jeep and hard top, so refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for guidance.
- Make sure that the straps or hooks are securely attached and tightened to prevent the hard top from slipping or falling.
- Begin raising the hard top slowly using the hoist. Keep an eye on the hard top to ensure that it remains level and stable during the lifting process.
- Once the hard top is lifted off the Jeep, you could carefully maneuver it to a safe location for storage. Alternatively, if it is safe to do so, you could leave it in place – ready to be put back on later.
- To lower and re-attach the hard top, simply reverse the lifting process, ensuring that it is lowered slowly and carefully back onto the Jeep.
- Once the hard top is securely attached to the Jeep, remove the lifting straps or hooks from the hard top and store them in a safe location.
- Finally, test the hard top to ensure that it is properly secured and will not shift or come loose while driving.